Old Blocks, New Pieces

 I love all areas of quilting but I'm especially interested in vintage and antique quilts and fabrics. As a member of my local guild, I decided to try out a small group that specializes in the history of quilts and quilt makers. I attended 3 Schoolhouse Quilters meetings before COVID-19 hit. I learned so much but my favorite part was the firsthand examination of antique quilts with others who were willing to share their passion and knowledge of quilts with me. I couldn't wait to learn more.  

I was quickly invited to participate in The Schoolhouse quilters educational exhibit for our Ruby Jubilee quilt show (also cancelled due to COVID). Its working titled Old Blocks, New Pieces and was inspired by the work of Mary W. Kerr. Kerr is know for taking unfinished vintage quilt tops along with blocks and turning them into fresh tops quilted by modern quilters. The group referenced her books,  A Quilt Block Challenge: Vintage Revisited and Twisted and exhibit.

Here is my process of turning a vintage block into something modern.

  • I was given a pile of vintage Dresden blocks and pieces from the 1930's-1940's to choose from.
My creative process. 

I hand appliqued my Dresdens and partial pieces to the background. I used a Moda ombre fabric for the background. That screams modern right? My thought was I would have plenty of negative space to quilt. It was okay, but I wasn't loving it. Unhappy with how my first layout went and not wanting to unpick my handwork. I decided to slice it into uneven strips bases on the seams of the Dresden.

This lead to the 1980's Dresden through the mini-blinds look. Definitely not having it. Although it was an interesting effect not right for this project.

Finally, I came up with the last and working concept and used the sliced pieces to border a second hand appliqued Dresden. I liked the feel of this and I was settled.

Here's the final completed project.

It's seems I need to include some type of winged creature on most of things I make. 


To view the photo exhibit by The Schoolhouse Quilter a small group of the Camarillo Quilter's Association click link. Note: My quilt was completed after the newsletter article was printed as part of a UFO challenge.





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting--15.1 Bird House